Friday, April 12, 2013

Valley of the Lilies 1/2 Marathon

On Saturday, April 6, I ran the Valley of the Lilies 1/2 marathon.  This was at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee.  It had some good points, some bad.  I've been spoiled by some great races, including the OBX.  The price was pretty reasonable.  They allowed participants to use the rec center.  It was great to have a warm place to wait and have access to the restrooms.  The Gatorade was good (not sure if they used powdered, but race folks don't always mix that well).  We got great tech shirts that had an image of the campus.  At least they're a purple and gold school.  The course was as flat as they could make it.  Most of the inclines weren't too bad.  I felt pretty good for most of the race and was thankful for that.  Taking two acetaminophen before helps.  I always do that before a half or a full.  The worst elevation climb was during the catamount climb.  I survived the Catamount Climb! There wasn't any one awful part, but it was gradual incline that kept on going.  I wore a festive outfit, complete with a cape and a flower.  I thought, why not try to go with the theme? I was the only one who was dressed up.  There weren't finisher medals.  I seriously put on the evaluation that I would only run it again if there were medals.  We got pint glasses and stickers.  ;) Afterwards, I enjoyed a peanut butter shake from the DQ.  They were donating part of their sales that day to the race charity.  The charity was professional development opportunities for WCU students (ex- taking a licensing exam or attending a professional conference).  My time was  2:39:21.2.  Not a PR, but not bad for my first half up here.  I do miss the flat terrain of Greenville.    

http://www.christopher-graphics.com/ValleyoftheLillies
This is the photographer's website.  There are a LOT of photos, but I know that I'm on pages 26 and 27 under ''course photos.''  Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment