Saturday, June 22, 2013

Appalachian Lifestyle Festival

On Saturday, June 8, the Appalachian Lifestyle Festival was held in Downtown Waynesville.  It was less crowded than some festivals and I had a blast.  I ran into one of my neighbors and a friend of hers.  We explored together for a while and then I split off.  I listened to a bluegrass band and watched square dancing.  A guy from my church was the dance caller.  I visited the Haywood County Arts Council.  Their current exhibit is about the region of Appalachia.  One of the tents had a guy talking about the Plott Hound (he breeds them).  This is the NC state dog.  I also visited the Friends of the Smokies and a table about the national park and the elk.  They had elk skulls and antlers.  See below for lots of great pictures.  I think that the antler photo might just be Christmas card quality.  While exploring with Sarah and her friend, we learned that a small theater is about to open.  We have another theater, which shows the new releases.  This will show things like classics and independent films.  The festival also had sheep, alpacas and a blacksmith.  I live very close to downtown, which is so convenient on a festival weekend.  It doesn't matter at all that the streets are blocked...I don't need to drive.  LOVE.DOWNTOWN.LIVING.  :)  

Blacksmithing
 
Shetland Sheep


Alpaca

Talking about the Plott Hound

Plott Hound



Elk antlers

Elk skulls

Bluegrass

Square dancing on Main Street




They go to my church.  He was the caller. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment