Sunday, January 28, 2018

OBX Marathon and 8K 2017

Once again, I participated in the 8k + marathon challenge.  It wasn't long before I realized that might be too much.  I was a little sore later and the marathon seemed a bit more of a struggle than usual.  I didn't train as hard as with other marathons, so I'm sure that was part of it.  The 8k was a very blustery morning.  I felt good physically, but I didn't stick around to watch friends finish the later races.  Duck Donuts sounded like a much better idea.  But back to the race.  I remember being in a perpetual state of annoyance.  As I got closer to the turnaround, many faster runners were passing us.  The annoying part is that those still heading to the turnaround wouldn't get out of the way.  Call me weird, but I don't like to get mowed down.

Let's skip ahead to the exciting part: Sunday, marathon day.  I got up about 4:30 in the morning.  I try to set out or pack everything I need the night before.  I assembled a bagel (plain with honey nut cream cheese) and boarded a shuttle bus from Manteo High School.  I sat with a cool guy from Rhode Island.  His brother was running the half marathon.  Marathons and races have a way of bonding you with total strangers.  I think we might have been on the first bus.  When our bus got to the start area, several of us claimed the warm entryway of some electrical company.  The starting area was so still and quiet compared to the way it would be in a little while.  I met people from all over.  I recall some from NC, I think, and I believe either Iowa or Indiana.  After warming up, I made a customary port-a-potty run.  I also dropped my bag with the UPS guys before taking my place at the starting line.  I station myself pretty far back.  I'm in the second of two corral areas, so it takes a few minutes to reach the start.  I saw my Rhode Island pal at the start area and engaged in other camaraderie.  So, we start.

From this point on, enjoy a random collection of memories.  I spent some time near a group of two girls and one guy.  They had some sort of music/movie trivia game going on.  I piped up and said that I didn't have any trivia, but would they mind an amusing anecdote? They invited me to participate at some point, but my brain was mush.  I also remember the family with their young kids.  It's really cool to see the same locals, year after year.  A lot of things, like the family, stay the same.  The water stop by the schools seems to be where I always take my Tylenol (2 before, 2 at about 8:30 a.m.).  I'm pretty sure I dropped the Tylenol...that always happens.  I didn't carry liquid since I could get it every other mile.  I did take Snickers, but didn't eat much of it.  It just seemed to much work to get it out.  There was a sponsor table heading into the woods.  I think I got an orange wedge.  Speaking of the woods, they're HARD.  Some people hate them.  Personally, I think it's a good idea to run through there when you're spending so many miles on the pavement.  Knees really need a break.  Speaking of knees, I ALWAYS wear a support on both after my first marathon (horrible pain for most of it).  I made conversation with random people.  One person I didn't talk to, a spectator, actually, had a sign that said, ''I thought you said rum.''  I saw her several times that weekend and was getting tired of being taunted.  ;) There was a table with soda, pickle juice and maybe some salty snacks.  She didn't have any drinks besides the soda and asked me if I wanted the pickle juice (the salt helps with cramps).  I actually felt okay, but I told her I wasn't that desperate.  I might have gotten some pretzels from her table.  My knees did well, but my lower back got irritated some.  I slathered on biofreeze several times.  I might have put it on my knees, too, but I can't quite recall.  Long distance races are a funny thing.  You start with so many people and lots of energy.  You reach the point where people are so spaced out and you can see everyone struggling.  I always wonder how I'm going to get through it.  Five plus hours doing one thing is a long time.  The miles always pass by so much faster than I think they will in the beginning.  Before I knew it, I was back out of the woods and running towards/through Nags Head.  Eventually, we see the sign where we'll turn towards the bridge.  Of course, the sign and turn seem so far off.  Even when you make the actual turn, you're not on the bridge right away.  I think we turned onto the bridge road between miles 20 and 21.  The worst part of the bridge is that terrible incline.  If you've ever run it, you know what I mean.  I tried to keep my head down so that I couldn't see it.  I didn't want the sight of it to be my downfall.  After years of running it, I finally managed to run up the whole thing; I wanted to be able to do that again.  I looked up a few times, but always put my head back down.  After that incline, you get the joy of going down.  I asked a few guys (at some point on the bridge) if they were going to let an ''old lady'' pass them.  They were about 10 years younger.  Not too long after the peak, we turn at a CVS.  I think any runner will tell you that it's one of the best things they've ever seen.  At this point, there were still a few miles left, but not that many turns.  It's just one foot in front of the other.  My phone had died, so I had no run/walk timer to depend on.  I just did whatever felt good.  Eventually, I made it to the last few turns.  I've done it so many times that I knew how many turns lay ahead.  The home stretch of a marathon is like nothing else.  You've been working hard for months and pushing yourself for hours.  Then, you have all these random strangers cheering you on.  I think I just tried to keep it steady until I got close enough to really go.  FINISH! I collected my three medals, my food and headed for the bush.  My knees were still okay, but my feet were pretty sensitive.

I've signed up for 2018, but have decided to do it without the 8k this year.  Tailwinds, my running friends.  Thanks to all for reading.






No comments:

Post a Comment