Monday, November 9, 2015

OBX Marathon and 8k Challenge 2015

On Saturday, I ran the Outer Banks 8k.  It was a humid day, so I'm asking that they have more water out next year.  However, it was a good race and mostly off-road, which I enjoyed.  The marathon course goes through this area.  The 8k starts and ends at First Flight Middle School.  The on-site festivities are really good.  They have a lot for the kids, bouncy toys and such.  There are also post-race egg and cheese sandwiches.  


On marathon day, my nerves started up pretty early.  I caught a shuttle before six to head to the start.  My pre-race food was my usual bagel.  We were at the start before 6:30 and the race didn't begin until 7:20.  Before too long, my group started arriving.  We enjoyed chatting and taking pre-race photos.  I was in corral B, so I moved farther back.  I got behind the 5 hour pace group, but ended up on my own.  I mostly used a run four, walk 1 pattern, so it was a slower pace (I occasionally fudged; sometimes you need some extra walking).  I ended up not listening to music, but just focused on when my phone would beep (Gym Boss app).  I tried just to get from one mile to the next.  You wonder how  you'll get through all of those miles, but they move pretty quickly.  I knew they would go by once we hit the halfway point; you're in the teens and it just happens.  Some of the race is on trails and the softer surface is a welcome break.  This is where mountain training came in handy, as there are a few inclines in the woods.  A lot of the race goes past houses.  The community provides great support and you see the same groups year after year (the ladies making mimosas, for instance; yep, they do it every year).  There are always some unofficial water stops that people offer by their yards.  The official stops and cheer stations were great as well.  There were Star Wars characters, disco music, bumblebees, a shark...you name it.  One area had candy and pretzels.  I ate the pretzels and also consumed my own candy (Reese's nutrageous bars).  There was a guy in his underwear with pants around his ankles.  He was holding a sign in front of him.  You really do see it all kinds of stuff.  My outfit got compliments; I don't think the marathon had many costumes or tutus.  The race starts out very busy-looking, but not too congested.  Eventually, people get a lot more spaced out (and quiet).  I think I got on the road to the bridge before mile 21.  I was thrilled when I reached mile 24 and thought the sign would say 23.  Of course, I got a rock in my shoe with two miles to go.  This year, for the first time, I ran all the way up the hardest part of the bridge (650 foot climb!).  I tried to keep my head down.  Mountain running has really paid off.  At the bottom, there were friends to cheer me on and snap some pictures.  Jorine ran with me almost to the finish line! We caught up with a few others in our group.  Then I got near the finish.  Dashing toward the finish line and crossing is an amazing feeling.  There is nothing like it.  I am ready to register and excited for next year! Registration has opened, so I'll be doing that very soon (just waiting on a discount code).  Doing two races came with three medals.  :) 











No comments:

Post a Comment